Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What?

So this morning, I get to work. My day is going fine; no one is really saying much. Everyone is just coming and going as they please, which suits me just fine. I'm enjoying not being bothered when the phone rings. I answer, and on the other end of the phone is this strained, hoarse voice. " Um....Hi, this is _______ (all names have been removed to protect the innocent)." I say, "Yes, how can I help you?" The distressed voice says, " I'm really..OWWW... in a lot of pain right now...it hurts when I move my neck, and back, or when I turn over...I didn't know who else to call, so I called you. What should I do?" WTF? You're in pain and you call they gym and not a doctor?

Pause.

OK folks, let me rewind and give you some history. I'm employed at a corporate fitness center for a major sports network. The employees that work here definitely respect us as health & fitness professionals and often come to us with "out of the box" issues. Often, my coworkers and I look at each other and laugh; people clearly think we're geniuses! While that's not a bad thought, sometimes, they fail to realize that we can't do everything. What made this person think that I could give sound advice when thy clearly should have sought a medical professional is beyond me. I can see it now...I give advice, then something goes wrong and then I'm out of job for trying to help. Hell no. I wanted to say to her "Who do you think I am? What do you think I can do for you? And if you're in that much pain, why are you calling the gym, and not 911?" Nonetheless, I advised them to seek medical attention, hung up the phone, and laughed. A laugh in the morning never hurt anyone right?

2 comments:

Jazzy said...

LOL! As an admin, I get the same reaction from folks. I've learned to just tell people to leave me alone dammit! Especially early o'clock in the morning!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

That is just the kinda weird shyt that makes a day at work interesting. Maybe she messed herself up at the gym and needed the good tips from the professionals who may have seen this before.