Sunday, January 10, 2010

That's What Friends are For...

Friendship is a priceless jewel.

Over the weekend, I spent time with a good friend of mine as part of her birthday festivities. We had wine and appetizers at a nice Italian restaurant Friday night, I took her to the spa for mani/pedi's on Saturday, followed by a quick run to a quaint "trinket" shop to browse for a bracelet we've both been eyeing. On our way into the shop, we were chatting away as usual and she reached out to give me a hug.

Pause.

Now- my friend is a really great person. She's smart, pretty, a good listener, and would give you the shirt off her back...literally. She's very weird and crazy in her own way...but being friends with her is easy and never dull. We get along very well.

Now, when she reached out to give me a hug along with a "thank you for being so sweet...giving me your time..." message, I told her not to hug me. I reminded her it was her birthday weekend and our plans included "friend time." After we left the trinket shop, I thought about my gesture. Had she understood where I was coming from? Did she take offense? To gain some clarity, I called her and explained that she didn't need to thank me. This is what friends do...and I know that if the tables were turned she would have done the same for me. She came back with she appreciated me and didn't want me to think she was monopolizing all my time. I didn't see it that way at all! It had been at least two weeks since I'd seen her and we were long overdue for girl time.

Later that evening as we were rounding out birthday festivities at one of our favorite lounges, she told me that she wasn't used to having friends who put her before other priorities, i.e., boyfriends/relationships, work, and other life vices. She was always adjusting to them instead of them cutting her some slack.

Last time I checked, friendship was a two-way street.

I responded by reminding her that when appropriate friends/boyfriends, family or whatever could always be considered. That time is ours and we can spend it however we like. Unless it's a major emergency, everything else can wait. Many things come and go, but time with family and friends is priceless.

I'm just happy to be a positive part of her life. After all, isn't that what friends are for?

No comments: